A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Monday, May 14, 2012

What I Am Reading - Ready Player One



Ready Player One
Ernest Cline
372 pages, read it in hardback

I try to take my recommendations seriously.  Especially when said recommendation comes from a really good friend with an extensive reading background, what can I say; he has rarely lead me astray.  This is the tale of one such read, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

Ernest Cline gave his literary debut at the Austin Poetry Slam in 1997 and was its winner in 2008 and 2001 respectfully.  With a little more relevance Cline also wrote the screenplay for Fanboys in 2009.  Fanboys is about a group of high school friends who travel the country to steal a rough cut of The Phantom Menace from Skywalker Ranch.  If this is all gibberish to you, than we have already started on the wrong foot and do not read Ready Player One.  But I digress, so let’s backtrack back to Cline.  This guy owns a DeLorean DMC-12 with the affects needed to go back to the future and this very novel has already been purchased by Warner Bros to be turned into a screenplay written by Cline as well.  Good things for a novel debut.  So let's get to Ready Player One.

Ready Player One shoots us into a fictional world of 2044 where the world as we know it is in ruin and disarray.  Everyone now spends as much as their time as they can in the OASIS, a completely immersive virtual reality that serves as an expansive game, mall, school, private chat boards, etc.  The best way to think of the OASIS is one virtual reality internet in which all of the players/users are on one server and can simultaneously interact with one another within the confines of the system and the places within the OASIS.  The creator of the OASIS, an eccentric and enigmatic James Halliday, passes away and leaves a video will which is sent out to every user of the OASIS.  The video will is as puzzling as the individual and starts the greatest scavenger hunt in existence within the OASIS.  The winner, and there can be only one, will inherent absolute control over the OASIS and Halliday's fortune.  Halliday is of course infatuated with the 80's, hailing it as the golden age of his youth, so upon his death an explosion of 80's culture hit's the modern time.   Everyone immediately starts looking for the egg using the clues given by Halliday but after five years, no one has managed to crack the code and discover the combination, until Wade Wattes comes along.  This is his story, told by him.

I loved every moment of it.  As a kid, I spent most of my time in front of a T.V. or Computer monitor playing games.  I have played EQ, DAoC, World of Warcraft, and a long host of other games for longer than should probably be allowed.  I have had friends online that I have never met and I have wasted countless hours attempting to topple lava beasts and best the Albions.  I scanned forums and fought with 'lessers.' I have found efficient ways to max XP and wasted hours in front of Tetris Machines.  I have been a loyal fan of the internet since its conception and I work for a large software company.  I can see this future and I got the references.   Reading it was like crack and I think anyone with an appreciation of good story telling and internet culture will love it.  With that said, why didn't I give it five stars?  After all the writing is perfect.  The depiction and consistency is spot on.  You will like all of the characters.  You will be engrossed in the telling, hell I read it in two days.  So what gives?  As much as I loved it, I think you have to know and be interested in the culture, and you have to know the references.  I couldn't just give this to my mom and expect her to enjoy it to.  That is why it didn't get the five.

No comments:

Post a Comment