A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Friday, September 21, 2012

What I Am Reading - The Ice Dragon



The Ice Dragon
George R.R. Martin
Read it in paperback, at 112 pages w/ illustrations and large font.

Everyone is familiar with Martin at this point as his series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' seems to be all the buzz.  The first book in that series was published in 1996 while this little inception was written in the 1980's with a re-release in the 2006 time frame, undoubtedly due in part because of the success of his primary works.  I didn't really know what to expect, I had heard from others that this is was a disappointment while other readers gave it the praise that any fan-boy would give.  So with those two things, I decided instead to go in with a clean slate and being a bit of a fan-boy myself, hoping for Westeros bones.  There are a few.

Now that I am done, I think I like it best to think of this story as a fairy tale from Westeros and it fits that niche well since at the time of its completion, Westeros was but a dream.  The story itself is apparently a kids book, but it is Martin and let's not be fooled.  It does after all have some severe imagery here and there in correlation with some wounded people within the tale.

The premise is simple, Adara, a child of winter is cold and distant but she has one friend which comes every year, the ice dragon. 

It's a simple tale so I will leave it at that and if you are a fan of Martin, and more importantly Westeros, than it is a fair assessment that you will enjoy this.  If this is your first foray into Martin, go ahead and jump to the deep end and pick up 'A Song of Ice and Fire', it's rewarding and fantastic.  Afterwards, pick up this fairytale.

3.5 realistically and while this would normally be a round down novel, I am a fan-boy and rounding up.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment