A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

What I Am Reading - Tinkers


Tinkers
Paul Harding
Read it in paperback, little white book weighing in at 191 pages.

This year, my reading list is to be bolstered by ten Pulitzer Prize winners, this was the first one I selected.    Paul Harding was actually a drummer in a band called Cold Water Flat.  I can't find any of their music but apparently they were popular in the circles they rolled in.  Not so popular that Mr. Harding didn't have another job, an illustrious one at that.  The illustrious second job happens to be teaching English at Harvard and writing Pulitzer's on his day off.  He also enjoys self-teaching himself theology and has branded himself as a 'Self-Taught Modern New England Transcendentalist.'  Whatever the hell that means.  I should start branding titles for myself too.  Maybe after I win a Pulitzer.  Anyways.  This novel was awarded said above prestigious prize in 2010 as well as the Brigham Prize, Center for First Fiction award, best novel in 2009 as listed by Publishers Weekly, Amazon, NPR, and the Library Journal.  The boys of 'Cold Water Flat' would be so happy for him.

So what's all the fuss about?  Well, George Crosby is dying.  He's got days, then hours before he meets his demise.  Not that he knows it, he's too busy recalling the lost days of his youth, including his father's challenges, and some of his grandfather's challenges during his countdown to oblivion.  It can be pretty depressing actually but some of it is absolutely beautifully written.  A lot of the chapters encompassing the woods, the snow, and George's fathers dealings with the locals were some of my favorite.  Also thoroughly enjoyed the bits seeded throughout the story about the clocks of ancient time and also the efforts of love to repair an old clock.

For my first Pulitzer it wasn't terrible, not that I went into it with any expectations.  Wonder what the next selection will be.   

No comments:

Post a Comment