A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Friday, May 17, 2013

What I Am Reading - A Confederacy of Dunces



A Confederacy of Dunces
John Kennedy Toole
Read it in a rough cover paperback that was a delight at 394 pages.

Now I that I have completed my third Pulitzer of the year and taken some time to reflect upon its contents I need to write a little something-something about it, but what…

I am at a loss, which strangely enough must be how everyone else felt about trying to write a description for this book too because most synopsis of the book I have found, especially those written by publishers, are absent of any details at all.  Most simply hint that it was written and subsequently published posthumously, for the writer committed suicide when he first was denied its publication.  I won't go into too much detail about Mr. Kennedy Toole's death but it was certainly interesting.

The story itself takes place sometime in the 1960's and follows the most loathsome creature, Ignatius Reilley and his antics.  One of which antics, in which us the reader first glimpses Ignatius, starts a domino effect that sweeps through the lives of his poor mother, a night club owner and her staff, a police officer and his family, the people of Levy Pants, a hot dog franchise owner, and on the list goes.  This is our Confederacy of Dunces. 

I really don't know how else to describe it without giving too much away.  The story is a comedy and is most certainly hilarious but it also shows the 'interconnected-ness' of it all.  That each of our interactions are tied to the people they affect and it's a tiny world.  I don't know if that is what Toole was attempting to do but he wrote a pretty fantastic little gem.  It's a shame he wasn't able to get it published while he was alive.  The writing is certainly top notch and is written in a way that makes you want to keep reading.  Some of my favorite bits during the course of the book were Ignatius's communication with a college 'friend' and his constant efforts to espouse his medieval philosophy to others.

We shall keep this short and sweet.

Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment