Will To Live:
Dispatches From the Edge of Survival
Les Stroud
Read it in Paperback
at about 228 pages, large print, pictures, and lists.
So behind on these
damn things, especially those non-fiction picks, but in any event, this was the
December and final pick for OTC Book Club 2013 slaying season. BoozyCoug once again got the pick and had
selected Will to Live: Dispatches From the Edge of Survival by Les Stroude.
A short little book
formulated with extreme stories of survival, each amazing and increasingly
bleak, laced with Les's opinion of the situation that the survivors got
themselves into, what he might have done, and a checklist for surviving the
situation at hand. In-between, we have
recaps of Les surviving as captured in the show, retold with words.
While I was
initially very excited about this selection since Les is such an interesting
individual in the survival community, it was demonstrated that he should stick
to the digital medium instead of the written one. Personally, I had seen the show (most of it)
so the recap was boring and didn't add much that wasn't already covered in each
of the applicable episodes. These gaps
between the dispatches dragged, even as a fan of the show. Most of the dispatches were not really
covered all that well. To me, Les
covered it at the 10 thousand foot level without diving into a lot of history,
backstory, or comparison for the dispatches.
While I was hoping for a Les prospective and more information on the
individuals and their situation, I felt I got no more information than if I had
watched a quick news broadcast and Les's input wasn't all that…helpful or
insightful. I guess at least I have the
tips to surviving some very extreme events…?
While I know most
fans will disagree with me, I am a fan, and this book seemed padded for sales
instead of what it should have been. By
my opinion aside, how did OTC take this?
On a scale of 1 to
10 with a 1 being a candidate for stuffing a corpse and a 10 ordained to wrap
it:
Th3ee: 3
Dust: 5
Hylen: 6
G$$: 4
SS: 5
BoozyCoug: 6
Shely-the-Don: 3
So we only had seven
people finish and pulled an average reader score of 4.5. Ouch Les.
I am going to skip a
lot of our conversation details on this one since they are all pretty pointed
towards the survival situations in the book.


No comments:
Post a Comment