A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

What I Am Reading - Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief

Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Rick Riordan

Well I have to say that I was apprehensive.  This was a referral and referrals always make me apprehensive.  I like specific things and I crave specific writing styles when reading, especially when the genre is fantasy.  None the less I was loaned Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief.  Most notable as a Harry Potter comparison and a failed blockbuster hopeful,  again I was apprehensive.  I have stayed away from Harry Potter on purpose, despite the movies which I have thoroughly enjoyed as just a two hour investment.  I just don’t feel like I am the target demographic for Harry Potter and that the writing style is just bland and toned down logically for a 6th grader.

Apprehensive.

The author Rick was actually born Richard Russell Riordan Jr. essentially making him RRR Jr. which is kind of weird and fun to say.  Like most, he has fancy degrees in English and History.  He was awarded the St. Mary’s Hall first teacher award, whatever the hell that is and many other awards as well.  Anyways, he has written a bunch of books for not only Percy Jackson & The Olympians series but three other series as well.  These being The Kane Chronicles, Tres Navarre Series, and The 39 Clues Series.

So onto Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, as you would have figured is about Percy and some lightning that has been abducted from Zeus’s throne.  Percy is a twelve year old boy who has a terrible life, a loving mom, a wretched step father,  ADHD, Dyslexia, and the worst luck staying in school.  When he didn’t think things could get any worse they do.  Percy just so happens to be a son of a god.  Not just any of the gods but one of the big three.  You would think that would help but overall it seems to cause a lot of problems.  After learning all of this he must of course track down where the lightning went, who stole it, and why or else Percy  will fail in his quest and the gods will go to war.  What else could you expect, after all the gods are petty and immortal.

My apprehensions melted about 70 pages in and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.  I don’t know that I will read the others simply because I have so many books that I want to read but I wouldn’t be opposed if it were to come up.  It’s fun, predictable, and moves quickly as I expected.  This is the perfect book for a plane ride or sitting by the pool and would recommend it for anyone doing those activities.  Chapters come quick and never drag so you can put it down every five minutes if you need and not feel like you are breaking the story apart by doing so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment