A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

What I Am Reading - The Celestine Prophecy


The Celestine Prophecy
James Redfield
247 pages, read it in paper-back

Oh how to begin on our June selection.

The story, isn't really a story I guess.  After all we don't even have a name for the main character and little if any build up for the characters that we encounter through our quest.  Each chapter in the novel is used to wrap an insight.  These insights stack upon each other so that by the end you are meant to have a full understanding of Redfield's spiritual guidance and direction.  Each chapter usually starts with a bit of setup, an explanation of an insight, a 'test' of the insight and then buildup to the next chapter which is rinsed and repeated with a new insight.  Some of the insights are of value for anyone who is interested in or looking to see the world differently than how they are currently but I can say that none of the insights had polarizing effects on how I live my life.

This is actually the second time I have read this book.  The first time I was much more fond of it and I struggled to get through it again, despite the fact that it had been several years later.  I think this book (in correlation with the first insight) is good for people going through a change in their lives and since most people are in a stage of displacement Redfield is able to appeal to a larger audience. 

I have heard that Redfield gained a large amount of success with this book which was turned into a motion picture (which I have not seen), a sequel, a national tour, and apparently a third book in the works as well.

A key to reading this book is an open mind and a relative neutral stance on religion, be they new-age or old school.  Without that fundamental tolerance I doubt you will find much value on the pages printed before you.

Overall the books scored pretty low in book club despite a high level of completion.

Out of ten, being the best,  our individual scores:
Gee Funk: 6
Tom: 5
Th3ee: 4
Hylen: 7
Dust: 1
SS: 1
AndyCoug: 1
Eleach: 1

Lucid Book Club Average: 3.12


No comments:

Post a Comment