A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

What I Am Reading - The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time


The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Mark Haddon
Read it in paper-back, 226 pages (easy read)

I picked this up as a suggestion from some readers on Goodreads and my mother in particular.  She is also part of a book club (not mine), and has been for some time, and this was one of their past reads.  I don't like saying no, especially to my mom and quite frankly I needed a break from what I was reading at the time (and still need to finish).

This little gem is written by Mark Haddon, a resident of England with a lengthy experience of teaching and writing child's books. 'The Curious Incident' is probably his most attractive and prized book, earning him both the Whitbread Book of the Year Award and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize Overall First Book Award.

'The Curios Incident' is written from the perspective of a child (Christopher) with Asperger Syndrome who comes across a neighbor's dog slain with a pitchfork in the middle of the night.  The discovery of said dog spurns Christopher's quest around discovering who and why his neighbor's dog was killed.  Throughout his quest he explains his day and events of his life as well as informs the reader why he is simply a "mathematician with some behavioral difficulties" and what those difficulties are.

After reading this book I have a much greater appreciation for those that rear the especially gifted and difficult youth for whom this book seems dedicated.  It's hard when so much of the thought process eerily makes sense from the point of view and logic of the main character.  Everything should have an explanation and a truth, which explains why Christopher's favorite subject of math.

I would highly recommend this to anyone, especially of those looking for perspective on what it's like and the difficulties of raising a child with Asperger Syndrome.    


No comments:

Post a Comment