A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Friday, September 13, 2013

What I Am Reading - Titus Groan



Titus Groan
Mervyn Peake
Read it in deceivably small 9 point black print, paperback, at 396 pages.

Before being to ask a reading group for this series of books, I had never heard of them at all.  This was also my first experience with a reading group on Goodreads.  My fellow book devourer is much more active on Goodreads than I am and had invited me to read with him/them.  I had two months to read this first one and I was able to kill it in one.  I had thought it was going to be a faster read than it turned out to but none the less I struck it down and placed in on the shelf next to my other victories.

I have been struggling to write this review for some time.  It's an interesting book.

The author, Mervyn Peake was born in 1911 and is best known as a writer, poet, illustrator, and general artist.  Besides this series of three, Peake is probably best known for his work as a commissioned to depict war scenes during World War 2.  Although the three books known as the Gormenghast series was intended to be a 'lengthy cycle' their completion was halted by Peakes' death from dementia with Lewy bodies during his work on the third novel, Titus Alone.  Titus Groan was published in 1946.

The story opens with the birth of a new heir to the Groan house deep within the towering and ancient complex of Gormenghast.  At this point we are introduced to a plethora of characters that inhabit the castle and work for the Earl of Groan, Lord Sepulchrave, as well as his wife the Countess Gertrude and their daughter Fuschia.  The whole story is riddled with characters of different stations that are forced to interact and work together, despite in some situations hating one another.  This creates some interesting dynamics within the castle as the characters are constantly trying to impress Lord Sepulchrave and vie for power within their little worlds.  As the story comes together you learn a lot of the intricacies and rituals that revolve around Gormenghast. 

I can't recall that I have read a book like this before, in which the surroundings are as much a character as the characters themselves.  While Martin and Tolkien are famed for it I found that they both use the surroundings to set the mood, the surroundings change and as fond as the reader may be of a specific location and its ideals, no real attachment to these lands changes the story, only how the characters might be changed by their surroundings and the interactions within those settings.  This is not the case with Gormenghast.  Gormenghast is a haunted place with a long rich lineage.  Parts of the castle are little more than rubble and the passageways that are still standing are complex and polished with ware.  What is really the defining difference to me is that we don't have any view of other lands beyond the realm of Gormenghast, the realm and castle exist in a timeless state of decay without any other comparison.  At times parts of the castle are busy and bustling while others are always doomed to abandon.  This sense of endurance makes the castle feel as much as the story as the characters that exist within its walls.  As the book progresses the interactions ratchet up and characters start making moves that will irreparably change Gormenghast forever. 


It took me some time, about 150 pages, for Titus Groan to sink in and allow me to start enjoying it, but once I did I was thoroughly mesmerized by it.  It's an enchanting story full of exotic characters and I am excited to read the other two in the 'cycle.'

No comments:

Post a Comment