A place for me to share the books I read and whatever else is floating about in my head.

My goal is 40 books this year, wish me luck.

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

What I Am Reading - Empire Falls



Empire Falls
Richard Russo
Read it in paperback at 483 pages.

My fourth Pulitzer of the year saw me reading Empire Falls by Richard Russo. 

Richard Russo attempts to convey, with great detail, the struggle of a floundering Maine town from the vantage point of its many citizens.  The town itself, as the title indicates, is named Empire Falls.  While previously a boom town textile power house, over time the textiles produced were off shored or simply moved elsewhere leaving the town down the straits of slow economic collapse.  Empire Falls exists in the shadow of the textile industry, its main street terminates at the site of the old factory and most of the buildings that line main were built in the same era as the mill itself.  Empire Falls tells the story of a small town in decline and the generational bond that exists from grandfather, to children, and then grandchildren.

For the point of this review, I will skip going into depth on the characters, motives, and general plots.  It really isn't important to the review, despite being rich and detailed.  They really are the fabric of the book and Russo does an excellent job with all of them.  Russo demonstrates some high talent character creation in this book.


When I first started reading this book I was unsure what it was about (which is how I have been jumping into almost all of the Pulitzers this year) and after a few chapters in I decided to look it up (on Goodreads) and see how it had done.  Surprise, my mother had read it to, and rated it pretty standard, a flat 3/5 on Goodreads deficient scale.  When I asked her why so low she couldn't really give me an answer, but then I got to the back of the book and I understood.  As vast and wonderful as the characters portrayed by Mr. Russo are, the ending was less than fulfilling.  In fact there really isn't an ending at all.  While the characters and their interactions fuel the plot, there isn't a lot of closure for you as a reader, despite the 483 page count listed in my edition.  I didn't need to end in any specific way but the end left me wondering why I had invested in the 483 pages to begin with.  This dramatically effects my rating of the book, and not for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment